Resources to Promote Tolerance, Justice, and Peace Making
Most of these resources were drawn from the Teaching Tolerance Magazine published by the Southern Poverty Law Center.
- Co/Motion Guide for Youth-Led Social Change A manual packed with information, strategies and inspiration to help young people effect change in their communities.
- Creative Change Educational Solutions Provides curricula and professional development on sustainability, ecological economics and anti-discrimination.
- Creativity Culture Art This website offers African art for sale.
- The Good Toy Group Online catalogue by 58 independent toy retailers across the US, that lists high-quality, culturally-sensitive toys.
- Education for Sustainable Development Toolkit Information and easy to use and can be downloaded free.
- Education for a Sustainable Future Offers a wide variety of downloadable software and units for all grade levels, most with a technological bent.
- Institute for Peace and Justice "We do a lot of work with Christian Educators on a range of peace and justice topics...We have developed a Pledge of Nonviolence that we often use as a context for workshops."
- The Lion and Lamb Project This project work to reduce the marketing of violence to children through parent, workshops, community events and outreach to leaders in the toy and entertainment industries. Resources include a Parent Action Kit ($15) and the manual Toy for Peace: A How-to-Guide for Organizing Violent Toy Trade-Ins ($12).
- Lombard Mennonite Peace Center As a non-profit ministry, LMPC works to encourage the nonviolent transformation of conflict in relationships in homes, workplaces, schools, churches, and throughout our world. Their programs and resources address ways of resolving conflicts and building healthier relationships in all of these various settings.
- Multicultural Materials for Children Colorful World, a women-owned organization, offers high-quality, culturally and linguistically diverse literature and other materials for children from birth to age 14.
- National Association for the Education of Young Children Check out two books by Diane Levin that promote peace and safety in children's lives: Remote Control Childhood? Combating the Hazards of Media Culture ($15) and Teaching Young Children in Violent Times ($24).
- Resource for Teaching Tolerance This is a principle online destination for people interested in dismantling bigotry and creating, in hate's stead, communities that value diversity. It is run by the Southern Poverty Law Center. There are pages for parents, teens, and children. The children's page includes the online game for children 8-10 called VoteQuest.
- Sustainability Education Center (SEC) Website provides extensive educational materials and includes a link "Kindergarten Through Twelfth-Grade Education for Sustainability."
- Teaching and Learning for Sustainable Future UNESCO's online professional development program that provides extensive resources.
- TRUCE (Teachers Resisting Unhealthy Children's Entertainment) A network of early childhood professionals that fosters adult collaboration to promote positive play and to resist negative effects of media culture on children's lives.
- WorldPlay This website introduces children from all over the world to each other's cultures through their handmade toys.